Thursday, April 19, 2012

OMG, how to recover your Window's administrator password

I was logging into my development VM machine when I found out that the administrator password that I set just a day before is invalid for some weird reason... (later, I think it's because of some password expiry policy that I cannot reuse this previous password again). This got me really frustrated since much of my code changes have yet to be submitted and are located on this machine. The impasse of not able to login to access your work code changes feels like someone has just finished writing a long section of thesis but forgot to press the "save" button then due to power failure, the section in work is no longer available.

Onto the road of recovery...

Thankfully, there's a solution to the password dilemma. I was able to reset my Windows Server 2003 administrator password by using cd080802.zip CD image as found in Windows Password Recovery. I simply mounted the bootable CD image as the first thing to run on system startup in VM. Then following the on-screen script instructions and using the default values mostly, the password reset was done. And life is back to normal again! Sweet~

No comments:

Post a Comment